Re: [avr-gcc-list] Implementation RS485 communication in c

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Implementation RS485 communication in c
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:27:23 +1000

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 06:43:01AM +0200, Christian Engel wrote:
> I think for implement a communication between two ATmega 162 with the RS485
> standard.
>
> Has anybody before implement a communication with RS485 in c? I'm sure that,
> but has anybody more information about it for me?

Whether you're using RS485, RS422, or RS232 is simply a matter of which
line interface chip you choose, surely?

Whether you're able to use full or half duplex RS485 will also depend on
your chip choice. The only impact on the code is when you feel inclined
to disable the transmit side, IIUC.

On the atmel website you can find:

AVR306: Using the AVR® UART in C
         Setup and Use of the AVR UART
         Code Examples for Polled and Interrupt Controlled UART
         Compact Code
         C Code Included for AT90S8515

Beyond that, the topological design of your RS485 network, and higher
level protocol choice would dictate what you'd do next, I'd expect.

Have fun!

Erik

P.S. This topic is perhaps more suited to the avr-chat mailing list. :-)