[avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-gcc 4.x.x from sources, special patches nee

From: Stefan Salewski
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-gcc 4.x.x from sources, special patches needed?
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:21:54 +0200

Hello,

I am using Gentoo-Linux for AMD64.
For this Linux-Distribution only avr-gcc 3.6.4 is available currently.
I know that many people are using avr-gcc 4.1.1 or better since October
2006. So I made a request to Gentoo maintainers to upgrade avr-gcc.

Here is the response from Gentoo maintainers:

> ------- Comment #4 from address@hidden  2007-04-07 11:43 0000 -------
> i dont use avr at all ... if you want something updated in gcc, post a tarball
> of patches that i can simply unpack into the existing gcc patchset with
> relevant documentation as to where each patch came from
>
> note that i mean the patch has to be compatible with epatch naming schema

I have done some Google search about how to install latest avr-gcc from sources.
I found

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#avr

  Use `configure --target=avr --enable-languages="c"' to configure GCC.

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=42631

  Script for building AVR-GCC 4.1.1 on Linux Posted: Oct 04, 2006

  ... Jörg's latest patches

I was not able to find a detailed, up to date installation description
which I can send to Gentoo maintainers. So please can you tell me: Do we
still need special patches for avr-gcc 4.x.x, or is a simple
`configure --target=avr --enable-languages="c"'
sufficient now.

Thanks for your support

Stefan Salewski