[avr-gcc-list] Re: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register t

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'BASE_POINTER_REGS'
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:47:53 -0500

Eric Weddington wrote:
Well, newlib implements a lot of what RTEMS uses, e.g. printf, string
ops and other functions. I.e. "OS in newlib" has not been 100% correct, but "RTEMS and newlib are pretty much woven" would have matched better

Yes. We rely on it for numerous headers including pthread.h.
True, it's a while since I looked into it ... the version I have around
(1.0.4) contains GPL'ed code ;)

I would strongly suggest that you and Joel take a look at avr-libc again: it
has printf, many string functions, etc.
Does it support file IO?

At the bottom of the implementation of the stdio library what gets called? write() or an output character function? RTEMS+newlib supports about 85-90% of the functionality defined in POSIX 1003.1b with the real-time extensions and we are tracking the OpenGroup Single UNIX Specification. I suspect a lot of code will have to be disabled to even build with a small libc. I have attached
the .h files installed by our newlib RPM.

I'm not saying it is impossible. Only that RTEMS has a lot of POSIX functionality and that we try to leverage newlib as much as possible for that support. The behavior of RTEMS is the same on every port and switching C libraries for a single target decreases the cross
platform value RTEMS offers.

--joel
Eric

package rtems-4.8-avr-rtems4.8-newlib-1.15.0-12.fc5 is not installed