Re: [avr-gcc-list] stumped by my ATmega48 (again)

From: nedkonz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] stumped by my ATmega48 (again)
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, October 5, 2007 1:59 pm, address@hidden wrote:

> I vaguely remember encountering something like this before, but what
> fooled me is that the other hex file, sent to me by the Oregon State guy,
> doesn't seem to care whether the reset line is connected or not. It works
> regardless.  But my program, compiled from the same source, seems to work
> only when I disconnect the reset.  So I'm still a bit puzzled... but very
> pleased that I'm able to get a simple program to work anyway!
>
> Can anyone explain how the reset line is supposed to work in relation
> to the ISP?  What's the standard procedure for testing your code while the
> ISP is still attached?

There are fuses that determine whether the reset pin is actually used as a
reset, or as an I/O, or as a debugWire pin. If the hex file you got
included fuse settings that were putting the chip into a mode in which the
reset line was just a regular I/O or debugWire pin, the low level you were
applying wouldn't matter.