RE: Simulator for GCC Testing [was: RE: [Fwd: Re: [avr-gcc-list]GCC-AVR

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: RE: Simulator for GCC Testing [was: RE: [Fwd: Re: [avr-gcc-list]GCC-AVR Register optimisations]]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:00:51 +0000

Quoting William Rivet <address@hidden>:

For what it is worth, I would prefer that simulavrxx proper could be
used, even if it was just built as an separate executable along with the
full-up code. This is one point of view of course.

Maybe I caused the wrong impression, but I did look into simulavrxx before taking on this task, becaue that was my initial thought too.

The thing is, I think of avrtest more of a "test tool" rather than a simulator. A test tool that we can tweak in any way that simplifies the setup needed to run the testsuite.

I also however know that libbfd is a pain for us the way we use it
becuase over time it changes in ways we often don't care about, but
cuases trouble for our simulavrxx users who have to cause it to be built
and installed...then simulavrxx has to find and use it x-p

I'm pretty sure one of my build clean-up activities should include just
including a suitable version of libbfd sources in simulavrxx and
dispense with the special build requirements we have today. Hence I'm
actually contemplating doing just what you did. (and I've been told this
is a wrong approach too ;-p )

Please note that I took just a small function from simulavrxx, and one that I probably still want to re-write someday, anyway. Most of the code is written from scratch to be much simpler than the simulavrxx version (just compare the almost 5000 lines of code for just the decode.* part of simulavrxx vs 1400 for the complete avrtest).

I'm not going to tell you that it is the wrong approach, but you should look at avrtest, too ;)

So in the end I say, more power to you. Thanks for posting. The free and
open communication certainly is in the spirit of FSF and OSS. It's all
good.

Thanks :)

BTW: Where would you host your new tool?

I still didn't look into it, but my idea was to host in place that gave the idea of "this is what you need to run the gcc testsuite for gcc" and not so much "this is where you can find yet another avr simulator". I was just trying to make it work myself before thinking about an official release.

For my own information, how do
you use it in conjunction with the GCC testsuite? Feel free to take this
part offline or ignore if you prefer.

At this point I'm still reading dejagnu documentation and trying to figure out how everything fits together. From what I've already seen it looks like avrtest can indeed be very helpful, in terms of simplifying the total setup, increasing execution speed and improving portability.

As soon as I get some concrete results, I'll post them on the list, together with the steps needed to reproduce them. Just give me a few more days.

--
Paulo Marques