Re: [avr-gcc-list] PORTC

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] PORTC
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:32:05 +0100 (MET)

"Andi" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is the code:

Sending compilable code makes us better trust you not doing any
copy&paste errors.  Let's hope all that you left out is the #include
<avr/io.h>.

> the LST generated file:

I never understand why people are so fond of that unreadable
disassembly stuff.  It also appears your copy&paste left out some
single letters there.

Here's the assembly code the compiler generates when I add the
<avr/io.h> include line, and compile it for an ATmega8 with -Os:

..global InitLoad
        .type   InitLoad, @function
InitLoad:
/* prologue: frame size=0 */
/* prologue end (size=0) */
        sbi 52-0x20,2
        cbi 53-0x20,2
/* epilogue: frame size=0 */
        ret
/* epilogue end (size=1) */
/* function InitLoad size 3 (2) */
        .size   InitLoad, .-InitLoad
..global InitPABX
        .type   InitPABX, @function
InitPABX:
/* prologue: frame size=0 */
/* prologue end (size=0) */
        sbi 52-0x20,1
        sbi 49-0x20,4
        cbi 53-0x20,1
        cbi 50-0x20,4
/* epilogue: frame size=0 */
        ret
/* epilogue end (size=1) */
/* function InitPABX size 5 (4) */

That looks pretty fine to me.  If I compile it into a .o file, and
just disassemble it (without the annoying attempt to intersperse it
with what the disassembler believes were the related source code),
I get:

Disassembly of section .text:

00000000 <InitLoad>:
   0:   a2 9a           sbi     0x14, 2 ; 20
   2:   aa 98           cbi     0x15, 2 ; 21
   4:   08 95           ret

00000006 <InitPABX>:
   6:   a1 9a           sbi     0x14, 1 ; 20
   8:   8c 9a           sbi     0x11, 4 ; 17
   a:   a9 98           cbi     0x15, 1 ; 21
   c:   94 98           cbi     0x12, 4 ; 18
   e:   08 95           ret

Again, all looks fine to me.