Re: [avr-gcc-list] Latest working versions (ATmega324p)?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Latest working versions (ATmega324p)?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:55:58 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:
FSF stock 4.3.0 is broken for the AVR port. You have to have a slew of
patches to get code generation right. See the patches (gcc, binutils,
others) that come with the WinAVR 20080411 package.
Hi Eric.

Is there any chance that GCC 4.3.1, about to be released around 05/05/08, will include the patches you have included in WinAvr?

Currently if one does not read all the traffic on this mailing list, it's difficult to know what patches are required to have a fully fonctionnal avr-gcc toolchain.

When reading http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/bugs.html , one may even think that GCC 4.3.0 fixes a lot of things and that this is the version to get since many bugs are listed as 'fixed in >=4.3.0' or even 'Fixed in 4.3-20070525.' !

I'd like to upgrade my toolchain on Linux, and if I read the list correctly, the surest solution is first to get WinAvr 20080411, grab the included patches and apply them to stock FSF source code to be able to have, at last, a working Linux toolchain. (Linux needing files first released for Windows... arg!)

IMHO it is difficult today to know exactly what files are needed to have a working toolchain, compared to a few years ago when reading http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html was enough: this page was all I read when I started using avr-gcc and I was happy with the result.

If one reads this page today and try to follow it to build the toolchain, then the result will be a disappointment because of the current 'patch mess'.

Could the exact list of files/patches to use be listed somewhere on http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc website?

Or will the release of 4.3.1 fix everything?

Thanks!

 Bernard