Re: [avr-gcc-list] Copy uint32 to Memory optimization?!

From: Andy H
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Copy uint32 to Memory optimization?!
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:52:41 -0400

This happens because the AVR backend of gcc defines RTL for wide mode instructions it does not have. So what you have here is a literal translation from a single RTL instruction into 8 assembler instructions. The compiler sees 1 instruction.

And yes you are correct this produces sub-optimal code.

The solution - yet to be implemented is to split wide mode instructions into byte (or word) sized pieces. Then RTL will more closely match assembler. This would remove the need for additional registers and also allow further optimisation.

It is little bit tricky, as not all instructions can be split. (Those involving carry are problem). Splitting instruction too early will create mixture that can prevent certain optimisations.

Andy

Moritz Struebe wrote:
Hi there,

I just came past the following code. I'm optimizing with -Os.

static INLINE void setBeef(HEAPNODE * node){
*((u_long *) ((uptr_t) node + node->hn_size - sizeof(0xDEADBEEF))) = 0xDEADBEEF;
3c8:    8f ee           ldi    r24, 0xEF    ; 239
3ca:    9e eb           ldi    r25, 0xBE    ; 190
3cc:    ad ea           ldi    r26, 0xAD    ; 173
3ce:    be ed           ldi    r27, 0xDE    ; 222
3d0:    b2 93           st    -Z, r27
3d2:    a2 93           st    -Z, r26
3d4:    92 93           st    -Z, r25
3d6:    82 93           st    -Z, r24

The T register is already filled, so that's fine. But why are 4 additional registers needed? Doesn't the following code do the same? Especially as registers are quite valuable?

ldi    r24, 0xDE    ; 222
st    -Z, r24
ldi    r24, 0xAD    ; 173
st    -Z, r24
ldi    r24, 0xBE    ; 190
st    -Z, r24
ldi    r24, 0xEF    ; 239
st    -Z, r24

I'm neither too familiar with assembler nor compiler. Therefore an answer like: "Yes, your're right, but adding such an optimization is difficult / nobody was motivated to implement it." will satisfy me. ;-)

Cheers
Morty