[avr-gcc-list] Compile Code for ATmega2561 /AVR6

From: Marcos Lolis
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Compile Code for ATmega2561 /AVR6
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:25:14 +0200

Hello, i'm new to avr development, so i have a lot of experience in Linux develop.

I have a board with a atmega2561, i use for workstation to buid a Ubuntu 8.04, i try to install avr-gcc, avr-binutils, avr-libc. But when i try to compile a simple C program i get that this processor is not supported the gcc version is 4.2.2, so i see in googling that avr6 arch need one more bayte to return from calls, so a patch for gcc and binutils are avaliable.

There are a clean way to get this cross compiler working? So i get a lot of infio a lot of patches, but no info if actual version of gcc already have this patches, or i need apply them, what patches i need to apply? I see that are in avrfreaks a script to automate the build, again it take some patches for gcc and binutils.

So my question is, what is the best steps to compile cross compiler with support to avr6 arch? There is any place that all posible patches are described?