Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMEGA2560 support

From: Mark Litwack
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMEGA2560 support
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:41:57 -0400

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 02:56:55 am Dale Whitfield wrote:
> Hi                                          >@2008.04.08_08:06:07_+0200
>
> > Hi Erik
> > >@2008.04.08_03:04:19_+0200

> > > Such sneaky skulduggery tends to confirm one's aversion to repeating
> > > the experience of visiting the site. Publishing the hoarded URLs here
> > > would be a service to the community, if you have them to hand.
> > >
> > > Mind you, links to any outstanding patches would probably be enough for
> > > this list, I suspect.
> >
> > The list is here:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/devel/avr-gcc/file
> >s/
> >
> > I'm currently testing a build of avr-gcc 4.3.0 and avr-libc 1.6.2,
> > courtesy of the Debian maintainer, which includes 256x support from
> > those patches. Only lightly tested but so far so good.
>
> This code wasn't usable and I've had to use WinAvr in the meantime. I
> really need to get back to my native Linux build environment. To do
> this, a workable avr-gcc is necessary.
>
> The question now is about up to date patches.
>
> Since last posting here in early April, there have been 3 WinAVR
> releases, however, the patch list at freebsd still appears to have the
> same files, all of which are more than 6 months old.
>
> Can someone confirm (Eric?) whether the patches here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/devel/avr-gcc/files/
>
> are those used to build the version of WinAVR which generates good code
> for METGA256x devices?

If you want the winavr functionality, why not just use the
patches on sourceforge that were used to create winavr? :

  http://winavr.cvs.sourceforge.net/winavr

Eric has done a good job collecting and organizing the
patches for all the tools and they appear to always be up to
date.

Using the patches in the winavr CVS has worked fine for me
under Fedora8 for all the tools I use (gcc, binutils,
avr-libc, insight).  Just leave out any windows specific
patches.

-mark