Re: [avr-gcc-list] A few basic doubts regarding installing AVR-GCC on Fe

From: Philip Heron
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] A few basic doubts regarding installing AVR-GCC on Fedora 9
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 09:40:55 +0100

Eshwaran Vijaya Kumar wrote:
Hi,
  I am a newbie to both AVR and AVR-GCC. I am trying to find out what
are the lastest versions of GCC that I should be using:
   The AVR Lib C user manual suggests that I use the latest version of
GCC (4.3.2 is the latest ). The manual also suggests that I have to
patch the latest version from
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/avr-gcc/files/patch-newdevices
in order for everything to work properly. I then went to the
AVRfreaks.net GCC forum where I see a list of patches where the
patches specifically refer to GCC 4.2.2?
Can some one clarify which version I am supposed to be using? I am
using Fedora 9 with GCC 4.3.0 already installed.
Thanks in advance.

Is there any reason why you can't use the packages already provided by Fedora?

# yum install avr-gcc avr-libc avrdude

It will save you a lot of trouble.

-Phil