Re: [avr-gcc-list] Transfer bit conserved by gcc?

From: Andy H
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Transfer bit conserved by gcc?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:34:01 -0400

Gcc only tests certain conditions and requires zero, carry and overflow sign flags to be set usefully (ie indicating result). The real AVR flag status is translated to a similar internal flag set within gcc.

It does not use H flag or T flag. But certain sequences emitted by backend to synthesize gcc instruction might use any flag internally.

Each instruction template written defines what happens to CC_status - for example, "clobber" means instruction sequence leaves no useful information and "none" means sequence has no effect on flags. Gcc tracks this to see if explicit tests on results can be omitted.

You may note that gcc cant deal with sign flag only. So many instruction sequence results cant be tested for plus/minus - which causes otherwise redundant tests to be left in.

Andy