RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC 4.3.2 producing larger output than AVR-GCC 4.

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC 4.3.2 producing larger output than AVR-GCC 4.1.2 with the same source and options (-Os)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:44:30 -0700

<snip>
> text: 3986, data: 128, bss: 52
<snip>
> text: 3848, data: 128, bss: 52
>
> That's a pretty big difference.

138 bytes, or about 3.5% larger.

Unfortunately it's a known issue. You should also try version 3.4.5 to see what
you get. I'm sure it produces smaller code than 4.x.

The toolchain developers are aware of this issue. As Joerg pointed out, version
4.3.x makes some assumptions about inlining heuristics that are not ideal for
the AVR target. We hope to get this corrected in a future version, but help is
always welcome.

Eric Weddington