[avr-gcc-list] Re: Problem with avr gcc compiler ? No warningofmixeddata

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Problem with avr gcc compiler ? No warningofmixeddata types
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:20:03 +0200

Dan Roganti wrote:

No, I didn't suggest that we add it to avr-libc. That is not where a vt100 library belongs.

I suggested that *you* build a vt100 library. The link to the documentation shows you how to build a library on your own. With a properly designed and built library, the linker will only link in what is being referenced

I realized what you suggested before. That was a typo/dyslexia on my
part, I meant to say avr-libc. I'm not pushing this issue, just to say
it would be 'nice to have' in there. I can live with the linker file I
have here.

I don't understand your "typo" - you *did* say "avr-libc".

Something like a vt100 library may be useful to some people, but it is completely inappropriate for inclusion in avr-libc. avr-libc is a standard C library along with various essential low-level routines for use in avr programming, especially to provide abstraction for the different varieties of avr. It is not the place for application-specific libraries.

What Eric was suggesting, and I think you misunderstood, is that you can package your own functions in your own library for use in your own applications alongside the main avr-libc. Done properly, this will let the linker include only the functions that are actually used by your program.

If you want to write a more complete vt100 library and offer it under an appropriate license for others to use, then that would be very generous and useful to other developers. Once you've put together some basic code, you probably would want to discuss it here with an aim perhaps towards getting it into the examples directory of avr-libc.

As a hint, you'll want to remove all references to printf from your code - you normally have to have a pretty good justification for using printf and friends in a small embedded system.

mvh.,

David