Re: [avr-gcc-list] Windows 7 issue ? Avrdude - strange garbage at endof

From: Royce Pereira
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Windows 7 issue ? Avrdude - strange garbage at endof filename
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:54:04 +0530

Hi,

From: "Weddington, Eric" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:55 PM
To: "Royce Pereira" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>

-----Original Message-----
Today I decided to try our Windows 7 (beta build 7077). This is the
build just before RC1.
I aso installed just today WinAVR 2090313.

When I try to use Avrdudein the DOS window, or thru a bat file,it
reads funny garbage at the end of the **filename**. Like so:
(This is the output of my editor )

 avrdude -c stk500v2 -p m8 -u -U benz-ppm3.hex  -U lfuse:w:0x21:m -U
lock:w:0x3c:m

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ##################################################
| 100% 0.08s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase
cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "benz-ppm3.hex#h"
avrdude: error opening benz-ppm3.hex#h: No such file or directory
avrdude: input file benz-ppm3.hex#h auto detected as invalid format
avrdude: can't open input file benz-ppm3.hex#h: No such file
or directory
avrdude: write to file 'benz-ppm3.hex#h' failed

Note the garbage after the hex-file name. This happens even if the
command line is typed at the prompt.
I tried with AVRstudio, and the chip gets programmed wth no problem.

What could be wrong ? Thanks,

If AVR Studio could program it, it sounds like the problem is not with the compiler per se. (Let us know if the application actually works.)

Yes, this is an old working application, and at least 50 chips have been programmed with this hex file in the last 3 months.
Though I've not yet tried the chips I programmed today.

Besides, I did not compile anything today- just tried to program an old hex file.

Did you try using the command line above, but with quoting the filename, and other parameters? Like so:

avrdude -c stk500v2 -p m8 -u -U "benz-ppm3.hex" -U "lfuse:w:0x21:m" -U "lock:w:0x3c:m"

I tried enclosing the hex file in quotes (had no effect) , but not all the parameters. I'll try that tomorrow...

I'm also considering installing an older version of Winavr (which I used until yesterday) to see if the problem persists.

Another thing, the garbage is random & so is the length - eg. benz-ppm3.hex#h, or benz-ppm3.hex$~k,wk,L etc.....

Hello, any other Win 7 beta testers on this list  ?

Regards,

--Royce.