[avr-gcc-list] Re: GCC Compiler support for ATtiny10

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: GCC Compiler support for ATtiny10
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:51:44 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org] On Behalf Of Rodney McCray Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 2:55 PM To: address@hidden Subject: [avr-gcc-list] GCC Compiler
support for ATtiny10

Is there C compiler support for the ATtiny10 in AVR studio v4.17's
GCC compiler.  I cannot find header nor io.h files for it?

Hi Rodney,

That is correct, ATtiny10 is not supported yet in the AVR GCC
toolchain. No, I don't have a timeframe yet for its support.

And you could have just emailed me directly.

Eric Weddington

I've just had a quick look at the datasheet for this device. In some ways, it should be easier for gcc than the ordinary avr's (the flash is mapped to the data area, and there is no distinction between "high" and "low" registers). But I'd guess that there would have to be a number of changes to get avr-gcc to work here. The zero and tmp registers would have to be changed, since registers 0 and 1 don't exist. Perhaps the other missing registers could be disabled by declaring dummy global register variables? And while having the flash in the data space is nicer, it still means changes.

The Tiny10 is a nice device in many ways - very small and cheap. But its use is limited by its silly programming scheme - it requires 5V power and 5V singles on 3 of the 4 IO pins. If the rest of your circuit is less than 5V, you'll spend almost as much money, and a lot more space, on voltage protection for in-circuit programming. Realistically, these devices must be programmed before mounting.