Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:25:15 +0200

On 13.08.2010 10:32, Johannes Bauer wrote:

If it is not possible and I would like to change that myself for
debugging - what parts would I have to look at? Is it easily done or is
that a difficult change?

I've looked into that matter and actually already played around with it a bit. The problem I'm seeing after moving around the FP-code is that the offsets relative to the frame pointer stay the same in the generated code within the function. I.e. when the ldd instruction refers to "Y+n", that has to be changed to "Y+n-Framesize" in the variant that pushes the FP on the stack first.

I think it's quite doable. Would such a patch have any chance for inclusion, if it were done in a clean way? Is that interesting for anybody else besides me? The reason I'm asking is this: If I'm not the only one interested in the topic, I'd do it in a clean, nice way and hope for inclusion. If I'm the only one, I'm going to do a quick-and-dirty hack and not care :-)

I'll not be available for the next two weeks, please be patient, I'll respond as soon as I'm back.

Kind regards,
Johannes