Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:47:24 +0200

Am 31.08.2010 23:04, schrieb Stu Bell:

>> I doubt there's a
>> very broad audience for improved stackframes -- as I said,
>> people do care for the amount of code generated, next they do
>> care for the code size, then they compare the generated code
>> size with compiler XYZ, and only then they start comparing
>> other features. :-/
>
> For some users, I'm sure this is true.  For others (such as me), an
> ability to show a stack trace would be a godsend.  Not everyone is
> trying to fit code into an ATtiny or ATmega8!  I specifically chose the
> ATmega2560 and added external SRAM so I would not have to worry about
> memory resources (as much).  If I could trade SRAM efficiency for a
> stack trace, especially as a compile-time option, I would take it!

This is exactly what I am looking for, too, as I am in exactly the same
situation, just using an Xmega128a1 here. Memory and flash space is a
secondary interest for me while finding bugs during development has a
very high priority. Once it all works, I can just compile without
-fno-omit-frame-pointer and it would even have the low flash and lower
RAM requirements, but development would be greatly improved.

> Eh, such is life.  Since I don't have them, I live without them.  But
> just because I don't have stack traces (...and a Lotus Elise ;-) ),
> don't believe for a minute that I don't wish for them!

Maybe we'll get it done. If the compiler support were there, it would
all play out nicely :-) I'm still quite optimistic, it really cannot be
that hard to change IMHO.

Kind regards,
Johannes