RE: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:06:57 -0700

I have informed the development team of this issue repeatedly, before any of
these releases have come out...

> Making all of our AVR code on Linux, I used to download WinAVR to
> rebuild a toolchain on Linux, knowing the result would work. Now the
> only solution is to go for Bingo600's scripts... I wonder how Joe
> NewAvrProgrammer can build his own correct toolchain in a reasonable
> amount of time with the information regarding the toolchain being
> scattered all around. Why Atmel doesn't publish a single web page
> listing the tools version and giving access to necessary patches (or
> making Bingo600 script 'official' or at least pointing to it) is a
> mystery for me.

I have my own opinions as to why this is the case, but I'm probably not at
liberty to express them publicly.

<snip>

> In our case the avr-gcc tools are parts of a larger code production
> chain which is based on PHP, and this does not fit in a IDE like VS. For
> instance PHP will generate .h files that are compiled on the fly with .c
> files, PHP scripts will also generate .xml files describing the target
> being compiled since those files are requested by third party programs,
> we generate also Latex code at compile time so we are sure that parts of
> the documentation are fully synchronous with the compiled target, etc.:
> Linux is fine for this. And our Linux IDE is Emacs...

Sounds like an interesting project! :-) Can you tell me more about how this is
being used? Is it web-based AVR application building?

Eric