Re: [avr-gcc-list] an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extend heapstor

From: Raymond Moore
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extend heapstorage
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:52:43 -0500

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Boyapati, Anitha
<address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

What I'm after is basically a way to extend the variables storage
within the gcc/libc framework.  To store variables in an external sram
rather than internal sram.  My (limited) understanding is that is the
heap storage.  This would leave the internal sram free for stack.  I
already have libraries for storing data in external sram but it is not
seamless.  Have to go through extra steps to store and retrieve data,
like using eeprom.  What I am envisioning is an addon with possibly
compiler option or something to redirect all access to the heap to
another sram segment completely, this particular segment being tied
into the system via spi.  Something that would make using this with
existing software more or less seamless beyond maybe adding a link and
compiler option(or something to that effect) to make it happen.

Ray