RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extendheaps

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extendheapstorage
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:30:42 -0600

That's my concern too. It's a whole other kettle of fish.

> Even if it is possible, it may not be
> possible to do efficiently.  But if it /were/ possible, then it would
> open up a range of features for the AVR and many other gcc targets.  It
> would mean for example that implementing the __flash and __eeprom
> address spaces would become an AVR library issue rather than a gcc
> development issue.

Well, I certainly don't mind that __flash and __eeprom would turn into compiler
issues. That's been desired since at least 2001/2002, if not earlier.

I agree, user-defined address spaces would be a cool feature as you describe
it. But unless there's a volunteer to help with that, it's going to be yet
another cool feature that will have to wait until we get the other cool
features on the list done.