Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite.
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:57:36 +0100

Georg-Johann Lay wrote:
> Paulo Marques schrieb:
>> [...]
>> Or maybe you are compiling the test suite for a cpu model that has RAM
>> at those adresses? The last time I ran the test suite I was compiling
>> for an atmega128 IIRC.
>
> A program that goes wild does such weird things, even if there is *no*
> RAM there :-)
>
> For some variations of the test case avrtest detects a stack overflow,
>  but for the exe you find attached avrtest does not see a stack overflow.

Ah! If this only happens for really bad bugs, we could either place a
timeout there or use a command line argument to disable stdin altogether
(maybe even exiting with ABORT in case the code tries to read stdin).

>> BTW, I was just looking at the repository and it seems that my last
>> change to implement cycle counters (very useful for benchmarking) that I
>> thought I committed is not there. Did I forgot to commit or did the
>> repository went back in time at some point?
>
> I don't know anything about avrtest repository/development. I just was
> happy to find the code somewhere in the abandoned WinAVR. As I wrote,
> I don't know if anyone still improves avrtest, what it development
> state/schedule is or where it is hosted.

Yes, this paragraph was more directed at the rest of the mailing list ;)

There hasn't been much development lately, but I think this is in part
because avrtest already does what it was built for: run the gcc
testsuite as fast as possible.

> That version of avrtest has a cycle/instruction counter as you can see
> in the output above.

Yes, but the "performance counters" patch is more fine grained (see my
other email to Eric).

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"Very funny Scotty. Now beam up my clothes."