Re: [avr-gcc-list] Confusing volatile behaviour with 4.6.2

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Confusing volatile behaviour with 4.6.2
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:53:05 -0700

Andy
> Warner
> Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:08 AM
> To: Weddington, Eric
> Cc: Wim Lewis; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Confusing volatile behaviour with 4.6.2
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Weddington, Eric
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>       Hi Wim,
>
>       Do you have a GCC bug report filled out for this issue?
>

> If the consensus is that this is a genuine bug (there's an awful lot
of
> false bug reports involving volatiles), I'm happy to do my part and
file
> the report to get it recorded.

>From experience there's also a lot of genuine bugs involving volatiles.
(There's a paper by a friend who's a CS professor at University of Utah
that goes into quite a lot of detail on a number of different compilers
and their bugs regarding volatile.)

I'd rather get it in a bug report, so we can get the details recorded
and not lost in a mailing list, no matter what the outcome. It's
generally safer that way. :-)

Eric