Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc 4.7 for Windows

From: Parthasaradhi Nayani
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc 4.7 for Windows
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 02:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

>From: Georg-Johann Lay <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc 4.7 for Windows

>GCC 4.7 has just been released, and I decided to provide a MinGW32 build of
>avr-gcc-4.7.2.

>Many people feel uncomfortable with building the tools to run under MS Windows,
>so here they are.

>The package is supplied as a ZIP archive "avr-gcc-4.7.2-mingw32.zip".

>Unpack the ZIP file to your favorite a location; it will inflate to a directory
>called "avr-gcc-4.7.2-mingw32".

>The binaries are located in avr-gcc-4.7.2-mingw32\bin

>To use the compiler, call avr-gcc-4.7.2-mingw32\bin\avr-gcc.exe directly or add
>the "avr-gcc-4.7.2-mingw32\bin" to your PATH environment variable.

>Most notable changes in 4.7.2 compared to 4.7.1 is the support of a new
>configure option --with-avrlibc that implements a better integration of
>AVR-Libc with avr-gcc: AVR-Libc supplies optimized versions of support
>functions that traditionally live in libgcc.  --with-avrlibc makes sure that
>always the optimized versions from AVR-Libc are used.

Hi,
Thanks for the post. I noticed some peculiarities in the latest version specially regard to FLASH section. The compiler is throwing out errors when PROGMEM attribute is provided.

unsigned char PROGMEM P_gu8_nlup[]

dvr.c:205:40: error: variable 'P_gu8_nlup' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'

The error clears if 'const' is placed before 'PROGMEM'.

unsigned char const PROGMEM P_gu8_nlup[]

Wondering whether there is any change in the latest version. Thank you.

Nayani