Re: [avr-gcc-list] When does __do_copy_data get inserted

From: Dylan McKay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] When does __do_copy_data get inserted
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:28:51 +1200

I've figured it out, thanks for all the help guys!

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Senthil Kumar <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

  The part you're missing is the avr_need_copy_data_p global. It's set to false by default, and is set to true inside hooks that gcc calls whenever it needs to put something in data related sections. The avr_file_end hook function checks the variable and emits a reference to a global "__do_copy_data" only if avr_need_copy_data_p is true. The reference then causes the linker to pull in the implementation of __do_coy_data from libgcc.a(_copy_data.o).

  The compiler uses the same trick to decide whether to pull in code to clear bss or not - see avr_need_clear_bss_p.

  In both cases, the idea is to avoid linking in the copy/clearing code if it's unnecessary (no initialized/zero initialized globals).

  Hope this helps.

Regards
Senthil