avr-libc-dev

[avr-libc-dev] avr-libc-1.2.1 and atmega8

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc-1.2.1 and atmega8
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:36:16 -0800

I've been trying to get my debian unstable toolchain to the point where I can develop for the stack of atmega48's I just got, but am running into problems long before that.

First problem is that I can't get a functional avr-libc-1.2.1 even for developing with the atmega8's that I've got currently. (I'm trying to get avr-libc-1.2.1 built even for the atmega8 because the 1.0.5 that's in debian is built incorrectly, and refuses to find __mulhi3, which is used by calloc and thus by stdio. OTOH this build works just fine for atmega32, I've shipped several products to the other side of the world by doing so.) None of the crt*.o libraries are built for anything but the "at90" series chips.

The problem seems to be rooted in line 344 of configure.in, where it tests for $with_multisubdir. This variable is referenced on line 125 as not documented, which is really helpful.

The problem is that when this variable is not defined (which is what happens when you run ./configure), only AVR_CRT_AT90 and AVR_CRT_TINY get defined, which means *none* of the atmega libraries are built.

However, when I add --with-multisubdir to ./configure, I get:

configure: error: unexpected value 'yes' for with_multisubdir

If I add --with-multisubdir=avr4, I get the necessary libraries built, but they are subsequently installed in $prefix/avr/include/avr4, which is incorrect and therefore none of my programs will compile.

What's up?

TIA,
   Omega
   aka Erik Walthinsen