avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Question on Optimizations with Linking

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Question on Optimizations with Linking
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:04:03 +0000

Paul Schlie wrote:
From: Russell Shaw <address@hidden>
I had the idea that instead of having single large libraries such as
stdio and libm, they could be made of say a dozen parts (even one per
large function) with reduced or enhanced implementations of various
functions, so rom spaced isn't filled with unused code. The default
linking could use a standard stdio or libm. It might not be worth
doing for things that are easily done in C by the user.

I might be missing something here, but isn't this what -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections compiler options combined with --gc-sections linker option are supposed to do?

Are there any drawbacks of using this, like worse optimization, etc.? Or is this not working at all for avr?

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

Pointy-Haired Boss: I don't see anything that could stand in our way.
           Dilbert: Sanity? Reality? The laws of physics?