avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] New device support

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] New device support
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:55:34 -0400

On Sunday 15 July 2007 15:22, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> When concerned about software safety, I'd even prefer them if the code
> grew (because of becoming a read/modify/write operation rather than an
> assignment), as it helps preventing fatal errors.  Obviously, unless
> the code size growth or slower speed would be a real concern.

I wish I had the code space to grow, but in one project I think I have
six bytes left of the Flash, and the boss isn't going to let me  redesign it.
Unlike The Press where I keep hearing that "memory is cheap", that
never seems to translate to embedded systems.

http://www.splint.org/pipermail/splint-discuss/2007-March/000923.html

> > I use Gimpel Lint myself, but there
> > is also the open source Splint.  http://www.splint.org/
>
> Does splint do MISRA checking?  That would be interesting.  I guess we
> badly need someone to `splintify' our header files...

It is not supported directly, but it has seen some use:

http://www.splint.org/pipermail/splint-discuss/2007-March/000923.html