avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-gcc, libgcc.a and libgcov.a

From: Chris Marrin
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-gcc, libgcc.a and libgcov.a
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 11:29:56 -0700

On May 4, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Weddington, Eric wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Mostly, yes.
>
> Libgcc is absolutely needed as it contains certain math library routines and
> other routines that gets used in the startup code. Libgcov is generally not
> needed, and I'm not sure that it even works for the AVR.
>
> Yes, the include files that GCC installs are useful. For example GCC installs
> stdbool.h and stdint.h. I use bot of those extensively in an AVR application.
> Other header files may not be used as much, but typically they are standard
> files so should be available for any conforming target.
>
> Yes, there is fixed point math available for the AVR via a patch from a
> volunteer, and should be in the latest AVR Toolchain release from Atmel.
> We're currently working on getting that patch committed upstream along with
> some others.
>
> So overall, yes most of them are absolutlely needed, or very useful to have.
> Avr-libc does not provide everything. Sure there are some things that are
> borderline, but at this point it hasn't been worth the time to go in and
> pinpoint disable certain things. I know that there has been some recent work
> on the GCC toplevel to reorganize how it works. Perhaps when this work is
> done it might be easier to do that.

Thanks for the response. The problem with all this is that there is some
overlapping functionality between avr-libc and libgcc. In fact each have a
version of stdint.h. Which is the right one to use? It seems like it would be
much better if avr-libc provided all the functionality from the libgcc files
that can be used with avr-gcc. Or at least they should be at compatible places
in the hierarchy. avr-libc includes are at "avr/include" while libgcc includes
are at "lib/gcc/avr/4.5.2/include"! I was only able to find the libgcc files by
scouring through the installed files.

-----
~Chris
address@hidden