RE: [avrdude-dev] Verify errors,

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Verify errors,
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:52:21 GMT

> > Right, I've looked through the archived for the thread
called
> > program error?
> >
> > It seems to end with alex saying he had Win2K SP2 on a
Dual
> > Celeron 466,
> > I'm running a 1.1 GHz Athlon but the same OS.
>
> Hmmm... that would tend to suggest my dual processor
being the problem. That
> just leaves the timers in cygwin or some other subtle
flaw!

> > What was the conclusion, apart from doubling the timing
on
> > the processor
> > defenition?
>
> We have not reached a conclusion yet. Not many people
seem to have this
> problem and it probably works fine on the code
maintainers PCs - there in
> lies the problem. :(

I'm not sure that it's "not many people have this problem"
as perhaps there aren't many Windows users of avrdude. :-/
And I have to admit, I rarely use avrdude, and when I do,
it's using the serial port code with an STK500. Plus I
haven't had much time recently to devote to development.

> I have had a play around with the 4.0.0 source code
bundle and can
> ..configure and recompile it under the cygwin install I
have but my system is
> not up to the mark to do a CVS checkout and build. It has
problems building
> the configure scripts.

Can you do a CVS checkout with your system? I have a build
script you can have that does a build from CVS checkout.

> I have made several changes already and will continue to
play with it. I
> wondered if there was an issue with timing and so someone
came up with an
> alternative timing mechanism using the select() function,
but so far I have
> not been able to apply this patch locally. I guess I will
have to do it
> manually. :(

> I did read somewhere that the cygwin people had done some
changes to the
> implementation of usleep and family to now call nanosleep
() which must have
> been recently (earlier this year) added to cygwin. I was
not able to find
> any comments about why they changed to this so I wonder
if there was an
> issue that someone has fixed with the new nanosleep()
implementation.

> My observations are that the verify error is always at
the beginning of a 64
> byte block so I now suspect that the code is not waiting
long enough between
> blocks. Can you note the verify error locations and
preferably have a look
> at the location in the AVR FLASH with PonyProg and see
what the value is in
> FLASH? I am pretty sure mine were all still at FF which
is a bit suspicious.

> The overall programming time under Win2K seems to be
faster compared to
> running under Linux on the exact same hardware. Under
Win2K it takes about 8
> seconds to program my bit of test code (6.8k long) but on
Linux it take
> about 11-12 seconds. So this tells me that either delays
are shorter on
> Win2K or somehow the code path on Linux is much longer -
maybe doing the LPT
> port IOCTLs.

That is correct, the code path on Linux is longer due to
the parallel port IOCTLs.

Eric