Re: [avrdude-dev] failed to send command to serial port

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] failed to send command to serial port
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:33:10 +0100

As Michael Block wrote:

>     avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRISP mkII, serno: 0000A0000252
>     avrdude: usbdev_send(): wrote 0 out of 1 bytes, err = No error
>     avrdude: stk500_send_mk2(): failed to send command to serial port

> Whats going wrong?

I've seen that too in one particular Linux installation, when using a
JTAG ICE mkII.  Setup is identical to other Linux systems I'm working
on where everything works fine, and I've never seen that kind of
trouble on my FreeBSD machines.

Note that it can initially talk to the device (as it correctly finds
the device, and reads the serial number).  I suggest you ask either on
the libusb mailing list, or on some Linux mailing list that covers USB
communication.  This is clearly a problem of libusb being unable to
talk to the devices, yet they don't even return a meaningful error
message (the "No error" message is libusb's one).

Please keep us posted about the outcome if you get any feedback there.