Re: [avrdude-dev] USBasp improvements

From: Wouter van Gulik
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] USBasp improvements
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:39:15 +0100

Jurgis Brigmanis wrote:
Hello!

I'm about to improve USBasp - add software control for ISP SCK speed (so I could place USBasp in a sealed case and stop worry about "Slow SCK" jumper). In fact, i've already (sort of) implemented that, just not ready to submit patches yet.

I was planning to use Avrdude's -B, bitclock command line switch for that (IMHO it fits), but here's a problem: AVR doesn't have very much control on hardware ISP speeds - just by factor of 2 - 750kHz, 375kHz, 187.5kHz ...

Unfortunately -B means bit clock period not frequency, and 375kHz for example, results in 2.66666(6)us period.

Suggestions?

Well the STK500 is not exact either. It also rounds somewhere somehow. So for stk500 users it would not be a big surprise.

HTH,

Wouter