[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Status

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Status
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:23:33 -0500

Actually, I have no estimate. The key to the game is to get the lisp
running as this is the only part of the system that is new to me.
Axiom used to be hosted on AKCL, now GCL, and Camm and I have discussed
rehosting it there. I expect it to run on both as they each have
advantages. In any case, though, the game is to get it to run anywhere
and I'm working on that at the moment. There really isn't any point
to posting the sources as the build process is very complex and
not documented (as yet. it will be). I've built the first version
of the lisp and now am working on building the "image" file.
Unfortunately there isn't any obvious way to share this task.

The new system build uses noweb (search for noweb Ramsey in google)
which is a tool to support literate programming. If Axiom has any
chance to survive it has got to be documented so anyone who is
willing to put out the effort can learn how to build, modify and
maintain it. I suggest you look at noweb and I can send you an
example file or two to bring you up to speed on how I'm using it.

Once the lisp build works locally I can upload the lisp portion
of the system, you can try to build it, and we can work on
correcting the problems with the build.

What is your background? Programmer? Mathematician? What area of
Axiom strikes your interest?