[Axiom-developer] visual literate programming

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] visual literate programming
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:13:32 -0500

Bill and Joris,

I've signed up on the mailing list for TeXmacs and I downloaded
the latest version to try it on the pamphlet files. I tried it
against the examples
http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/dhmatrix.pamphlet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/Makefile.pamphlet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/Magman.pamphlet

There are several things failing. \subsubsection is wrong.
\cite is wrong and the whole biblio section is broken.
Worst of all is that the <<foo>> chunks of code are
mangled. I also tried it against the dhmatrix.tex, etc
files and it still comes out bent. However, the math
comes out beatifully. It does know quite a few of the
tex directives. It ran Axiom fine from within the buffer.

This isn't a criticism of TeXmacs. It just means we need to
work together to improve the tool and make pamphlet files
into a "standard" for TeXmacs. There are a lot of possible
directions including things like adding an automatic call
to notangle, nountangle so code can be maintained directly
from the pamphlet, including invoking the compiler on the
untangled code. It would be nice to be able to follow
\cite references to other pamphlets. TeXmacs needs to
really understand the noweb chunks.

I really would like to make literate programs be the only
"source" files and have the rest happen by magic.