[Axiom-developer] GCL version

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] GCL version
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:26:34 -0500

Well I originally tried to run with GCL 2.5 and was not
successful. I sent a note to Camm (the GCL lead) and he
mentioned that Common Lisp had changed since Axiom was last
released (on AKCL). The key problem has to do with the package
issue. In detail the problem is that the code generally does
an

(in-package 'foo)

at the top of each file. In prior versions of common lisp this
would create the package foo if it did not exist. Now you must do:

(make-package 'foo)
(in-package 'foo)

in order to have the same effect. I backed off from fixing this
issue because it involves more than just fixing the lisp code.
Axiom generates common lisp (well, some really strange version
of common lisp because it is an akcl port of a vmlisp port of
a maclisp version). Thus we need to find and fix the compiler(s)
that exist in the system.

As to the "non visibility of BOOTTRAN package in the compilation
enviroment" it should be possible to create a lisp image that
includes BOOTTRAN by doing this in a lisp image:

(make-package "BOOTTRAN")
(system-savesystem "lisp")

I'll experiment with it tonight and get back to you on it.

As to the algebra bug... it continues. I've got it cornered
but haven't been able to look at it this week. However, the
weekend commences and I'm off to my favorite free-time activity.

Tim