[Axiom-developer] system naming (was: Re: About shell commands in Makef

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Axiom-developer] system naming (was: Re: About shell commands in Makefile)
Date: 04 May 2003 19:00:31 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

> > Maybe we should stick to the GNU way of naming systems like
> > 'powerpc-linux' or 'i386-bsd'?
>
> Any name or convention can be used since, at the moment, the unparsed
> "basename" is used as a switch to select the chunk used to expand into
> the Makefile.(system). I'm happy to follow the GNU standard (or
> convention). Is there a note about this convention somewhere?

A short note, yes, in the GNU doc of Autoconf:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_13.html#SEC145

 13.6 Specifying the System Type

 There may be some features configure cannot figure out automatically,
 but needs to determine by the type of machine the package will run
 on. Usually, assuming the package is built to be run on the same
 architectures, configure can figure that out, but if it prints a
 message saying it cannot guess the machine type, give it the
 `--build=type' option. type can either be a short name for the system
 type, such as `sun4', or a canonical name which has the form:

 cpu-company-system

 where system can have one of these forms:

 os kernel-os

Best regards,
d.
--