Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:16:50 +0100

I suspect that one of the reasons why Springer didn't pursue the project
was that the machinery was too specific to generalise easily to other
books.  There is an economic problem in that the normal "production cost"
of a textbook is low - if you assume that its based on existing academic
lecture notes - and so the break-even point is low.  This is
particularly important in Europe where we have very little in the way of
a common University syllabus for mathematics and so the target audience
for a textbook may be quite small.  Adding interactivity pushes the
price up very substantially.

That being said, for a number of years I've been working with Arjeh
Cohen and his group at Eindhoven who have an interactive textbook,
published by Springer, called "Algebra Interactive!" which is "powered"
by a mixture of Java applets and GAP for heavy algebra.  Its about to go
into its second edition and the communication with the "algebra engine"
will be based on OpenMath, so in theory you ought to be able to plug
other engines in.  I'm sure that they'd be interested in looking at
using OpenAxiom once its reasonably stable, and they might well have
some technology you'd like to adopt.

I'm also aware of some commercial activities in this area but I'm not
sure whether they are public knowledge or not.  In any case its a field
which attracts plenty of interest and I'm sure that a free Axiom would
appeal to authors and publishers alike.

Cheers, Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk