[Axiom-developer] Re: ACL2 list

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: ACL2 list
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:13:39 -0400

(journaling ACL2 note)

Matt,

The referenced web page item is mine, not David's. (I'm the lead
developer on Axiom.)  I worked with Nqthm years ago (trying to prove a
rule based program written in OPS5) and have recently tried to spin up
on ACL2. The misunderstandings are mine. We've emailed each other a
long time ago but the whole discussion died because I'm still buried
under making Axiom open source. The use and support of ACL2 in Axiom
is, as you can see, still on the todo list.

Axiom lacks two fundamental things.  First, Axiom does not support
proofs. I believe I can correct this issue in the next few years and
ACL2 seems like a well-founded system to use as a basis. Exactly how
this should be done is an open research question. I have some ideas
but I need a running Axiom system to do the research work.

Second, Axiom's algorithms are unproven.  It is going to take
considerable research to figure out how to match ACL2's model to
Axiom's model. I spent a fair amount of time reading ACL2 documents
and Dijkstra's work last summer (shortly after his death) and
pondering this question. At the moment it's all "on the shelf". If you
look at Axiom with a 30 year timeframe it is unacceptable that the
algorithms are unproven. The answers given will still be valid 30
years from now but how can we trust a system without at least
attempting to prove it correct?

It is true that Chandy and Misra have nothing to do with ACL2 but they
formed part of my background research on the subject. The latest piece
of background reading (unmentioned on the webpage) is on MetaPRL.

My apologies for spamming the ACL2 list.

Tim Daly
address@hidden
address@hidden