[Axiom-developer] Stack overflow problem

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Stack overflow problem
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 05:28:10 -0400

Camm,

The stack overflow problem is caused by the Axiom preparser. It
scans for macros and expands BOTH sides of the macros based on
previous macros. The failure occcurs if there are 2 macros with
the same name in the same file. The expansion becomes:

env:   ()
macro: MAX ==> 1
env:   (MAX ==> 1)
macro: MAX ==> 1
env    (1 ==> 1, MAX ==> 1)
macro  1 + 1
  crash

It is considered (by me) a bug to expand the left hand side of the macro.
I don't know where this is done but it needs to be fixed. I fear the
"correct" fix will take me into the meta code using the meta compiler.

This is not a GCL failure (although GCL is particularly unhelpful
when debugging stack overflows as :bt will crash GCL).

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden