Re: [Axiom-developer] Upper and lower case problems

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Upper and lower case problems
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:01:39 -0400

Mac OS X has the same problem with file names (it treats all filenames case
insensitively), even though it keeps the case. In the same subdirectory, OS X
will overwrite say makefile with Makefile. One way to keep the case correctly is
to use tar. I used Virtual PC on the Mac, so the problem is similar to Keith's
running VMWare on Windows XP. By downloading a tar (or compressed tar) version
in the host OS, it can be imported (or mounted after tar -x) to the guest OS
with no loss of information.

Keith Morrison wrote:
> My second error was to download the files to the windows host. I had
> problems with a number of input files where there are files with the
> same name (one upshifted and the other downshifted). EXPR.input.pamphlet
> and expr.input.pamphlet for example. This will be a problem when you try
> to compile on windows.

One way to resolve this would be to separate the lower case and upper case files
in separate subdirectories in distribution. I noticed the same problem with
hyperdoc files in the NAG distribution.

William