[Axiom-developer] New to this list

From: Jaap Weel
Subject: [Axiom-developer] New to this list
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:29:28 -0700

I have a bunch of things to say, but haven't typed everything up yet, so let me start with what I have:

First of all, congratulations on getting the Axiom project up and running. Clearly the design philosophy that Tim is proposing for Axiom is do the Right Thing even if it takes time. A very rare perspective indeed, these days. I appreciate that much. At the moment I'm compiling Axiom on an x86 Linux box downstairs from me. Seeing how things are going, it seems I should soon be able to run it on my own Mac and/or DEC.

- Mac OS X, case issues: this goes wrong right when I get the CVS. When I check out the files, it just refuses to check out both FOO.input.pamphlet and foo.input.pamphlet. It seems that the .input.pamphlet files are the only files that cause this problem. Is it possible to just rename these file, like foo.* and big-foo.* or so? Or stick them in a different directory?

- Mac OS X, build issues: as the only build instructions in README involved /spad/mnt/linux, I just literally copied them to see what would happen. I know GCL hasn't been ported yet, but I thought I'd see how far I'd get.

[japie:/spad] weel% sudo bash
Password:
bash-2.05b# export AXIOM=/spad/mnt/linux
bash-2.05b# export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
bash-2.05b# make

/spad/int/lib/fnct_key.c: In function `handle_function_key':
/spad/int/lib/fnct_key.c:308: `SIGCLD' undeclared (first use in this function) /spad/int/lib/fnct_key.c:308: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/spad/int/lib/fnct_key.c:308: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [/spad/obj/linux/lib/fnct_key.o] Error 1

In BSD-based systems such as OS X, SIGCLD is called SIGCHLD. I would gladly start patching the code to deal with this kind of stuff, but I'd like to know if there is any policy about conditionalizing code. Can I just use a couple of #ifdef c.q. #+'s?

- Common Lisp implementation. There was concern from the French side about the speed of the underlying Lisp. The fastest free Lisps are probably CMUCL/SBCL. I am specifically mentioning SBCL here. It is very similar to CMUCL, but it is easier to port. This is because CMUCL needs CMUCL to build, whereas SBCL will build with another base lisp -- thanks to Christophe Rhode-- such as dreadfully slow but hyper-portable CLISP. There is, among others, a port to OS X. I just installed the binary and it's blazing (almost 2x OpenMCL on a simple test case).

For benchmarks, see http://lispm.dyndns.org:8000/ , http://www.cliki.net/Performance%20Benchmarks , http://www.cliki.net/Performance%20Benchmarks , http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml .

I like the idea of compiling against more than one lisp. Various implementations each have their advantages, that the advanced Axiom user should be able to choose from. Also, it will eliminate non-ANSI code, as has been seen already with ONEP. More about ONEP later. At any rate, I think SBCL may be a little cleaner and more portable to use than CMUCL.

Jaap Weel                   Campus address:        | dorm (626) 795-9748
Caltech, Blacker '05        Caltech MSC #874, Pasadena, CA 91126, U.S.A.
www.its.caltech.edu/~weel   Permanent address:     | home +31-46-4337033
E-mail: address@hidden    Kelderstraat 2-4, 6171 GB Stein, Netherlands