Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site

From: Mark Murray
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:56:55 +0100

David MENTRE writes:
> > May I please suggest that we collectively move toward an axiom build
> > with an externally installed GCL?
>
> I totally agree with Camm proposal. And keeping the current
> configuration would be a nobrainer, just put a gcl-2.6.1.tgz in the
> zips/ directory.

I'd like to see the situation where the lisp compiler is completely
external to the AXIOM build, so that the AXIOM build does not build
its own lisp, rather it uses one athat is already present. Likewise
for tools such as noweb.

> The only "issue" I see is that Tim is opposed to any kind of configure
> script. We could add a 'make external-gcl' target.

I like the .pamphlet files, in that they give the same sort of flexibility
as a configure script. It would be _great_ if the build system had
a way fo doing some configuring on the command line (or ENVvars, or
whatever).

> Camm, apparently ftp.gnu.org is back. Could you put a copy of latest
> stable GCL there?

I'm playing with checked out sources right now from the CVS repo. I'm
assuming that those are 2.7.1?

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH