[Axiom-developer] AXIOM book and TeXmacs (was: Looking for beginning wit

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM book and TeXmacs (was: Looking for beginning with axiom.)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:06:59 -0400

Tim,

TeXmacs does a pretty good job of importing TeX/LaTeX
into TeXmacs format (but not so good in the other
direction in the current version), so I think it should
be quite easy to put the AXIOM book into this format.
The tutorial files provided by Mike at NAG where in
LaTeX form with a few special tags. TeXmacs handled
the conversion very well. If you want me to give it
a try, just send me a few sample files.

Putting the LaTeX line breaker algorithm into Axiom
sounds fine. In fact it seems curious the Sutor chose
to do it in classic C code rather than in Axiom itself.
Although I have to admit that I find the way Axiom
generates LaTeX rather obscure! And for now improving
and maintaining the tm_axiom.c program seems much
easier.

I am also interested in David's idea of trying to
encorporate the HyperDoc browser function into the
TeXmacs - Axiom interface.

And of course then there is the graphics. TeXmacs can
accept and insert graphics generated by external programs
in postscript format. Can Axiom's graphics program
produce postscript output?

Cheers,
Bill Page.