Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:10:11 +0200 (CEST)

> > OK, so without any cooperation from NAG, we should probably
> > drop the old tm_axiom, except if Andrey Grozin finds a way to
> > keep it working.
> As I've said several time already the NAG version of Axiom behaves
> exactly the same way as the new version as far as I can see.  The only
> difference is if you invoke it via the `sman' program rather than
> directly, in which case you see two prompts, one for each frame started.
> This would apply equally to both versions, unless sman is changed.
>
> So I don't think its a question of supporting the NAG and Open versions,
> its a case of whether you want to be able to use the TeXmacs interface
> and sman at the same time.  I believe that our "AXIOMsys" script
> provides the same functionality as your "axiom" program.
>
> I find it frustrating to be accused of not cooperating - we have made
> every scrap of source code available that we could.  Some of the
> remainder we can still use ourselves but not distribute in source form.
> However there is other material that we can no longer use ourselves
> either, so while the idea of carrying on some kind of voluntary support
> network for existing sites is nice it is completely impractical.

I am sorry for having accused NAG; I just find it frustrating to
have two tm_axioms for two versions of axiom and nobody able to
produce a tm_axiom which works for both (for whatever reasons).
In the current situation, I honestly do not know what
I am supposed to do.

So I wait for a patch from anyone who is interested in keeping
the old interface alive. Probably one should modify line 266 of
the tm_axiom.c we currently distribute, together with the patches
by David & Bill. If I do not have any patch which works with both
versions within one month from now, then I will exclusively support
the free version of axiom, since this seems to be the only version
which is under active development.