[Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl 2.6.2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl 2.6.2
Date: 14 Apr 2004 09:48:47 -0400

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> Excellent. The lab should be powered on in the next few weeks (hopefully
> by the end of april). Of course, I'll be at the east coast computer
> algebra day at the beginning of may it's all gonna take time.

Just wondered when/where this computer algebra day was being held...

Just as a quick summary here of the state (as I know it) of GCL on
Windows, thanks to Mike's wonderful efforts, things have improved
quite a bit since Bill last tried in October.  We've closed a long
standing bug that prevented faslinking in the ansi image, and another
that interfered with compiled object code initialization with
different optimization settings.  Both of these issues were in the
linker file sfasl.c, which to my knowledge is only used by the Windows
port at present, making it harder to debug of course.  We still have
outstanding three issues -- 1) The build breaks unless compiler
optimization settings are carefully set and coordinated 2) we have a
randomly occurring pathname corruption bug when ansi (ignore-errors
...) is in place, and 3) we can't compile maxima with gcc 3.3.3.

I'm mentioning this in case you might have any person resources in
your open source lab to assist in chasing these down.  Windows is a
much harder development platform, and I'd like to spare as many Mike
Thomas cycles as possible for his many other responsibilities.

Take care,