Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:01:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> What language is the maxima GUI written in?
> Can we generalize that to work for Axiom?
> That way we can share GUI efforts between Axiom and Maxima.

If you mean xmaxima, it's written in tcl/tk and communicates via
socket.  My guess is it would be trivially simple for someone who knows
tcl/tk to adapt it to work with Axiom as long as Axiom supports the
same communication method, assuming this is something you want to do.
xmaxima, to my understanding, is little more than a tcl/tk framework
around the maxima command shell.

As long as Axiom is able to communicate via a socket, my guess is it
would be possible to make any GUI which is sufficiently general in its
programming style to work with both systems.  I'm not sure xmaxima is
what you're looking for in a GUI though.

CY