[Axiom-developer] Re: tracing

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: tracing
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:24:31 -0400

Axiom has lisp code that can be used for tracing function calls.
the code lives in monitor.spad.pamphlet (and is actually documented!)

i haven't used it in a long time but the basic idea is that you want
to collect information about lisp functions in a particular file.
monitor reads the file, wraps each function in a trace.

see the function monitor-file which scans a file for all defuns
and when it finds one calls monitor-add.

in the function monitor-add we wrap the defun with in a trace call.
the trace call will call monitor-incr each time the function is called.
you could redefine monitor-incr and see the results you want.

in fact, if I had the time I could generalize the trace call
so the user could specify various trace arguments.

I wrote it in order to improve Axiom's function calling so it
currently only counts function calls.