Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom cvs 040624 build error

From: Magnus Larsson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom cvs 040624 build error
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:59:47 +0200

Hello Tim Daly,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have rebuilt from scratch. The AXIOM variable appears to be correct. I
use the output from ./configure to set the AXIOM variable.
I tried make clean from within the old tree. It did not build.
Please find my comments below.

On Thursday 24 June 2004 21.16, root wrote:
> > Magnus,
> >
> > It appears that the AXIOM variable is not set properly.
> > It should be set as follows:
> >
> > If the top level Makefile lives in
> >
> > /foo/bar/baz
> >
> > then you set the AXIOM variable to be:
> >
> > /foo/bar/baz/mnt/linux
> >             ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I could not figure out from your message exactly where the
> > top level Makefile resides. Axiom uses the AXIOM variable for
> > two things. First it parses out where it is installed
> > (/foo/bar/baz) and second, which kind of system to build ('linux').

The Makefile resides in:
/usr/source/axiom/cvs-040624/axiom

echo $AXIOM gives
/home/magnus/usr/source/axiom/cvs-040624/axiom/mnt/linux

This conforms to the rule adding /mnt/linux to the directory where Makefile
resides. This is what ./configure outputs as well.

> > I test every build before I check it in so, unless the checkin
> > failed it should build.
> >
> > You've likely confused the Axiom build system. I'd recommend
> > destroying the directory and re-fetching the sources.

I have tried to rebuild from scratch: cvs, ./configure, export AXIOM=,
make. It did not build. The console output is attached in make-scratch.log.

> > Alternatively, you need to do the following steps
> >
> > 1) keep the AXIOM variable set to its current setting
> > 2) make clean
> >
> >   This will cleanup the broken directories and restore the
> >   original systems.
> >
> > 3) set the AXIOM variable to the new value above
> > 4) make

I have tried make clean. It did not build. The console output is attached
in make.log. I did not change the AXIOM variable since it seems to be
correct. The Makefile resides in: /usr/source/axiom/cvs-040624/axiom
echo $AXIOM gives
/home/magnus/usr/source/axiom/cvs-040624/axiom/mnt/linux

> >   This will build the system with the correct paths.
> >
> > Let me know if you succeed or fail.
> > If you run the build in an emacs shell buffer you can send me
> > the complete console output.
> >
> > Tim

I have built Axiom from cvs sources several times before using my curent
Linux system. The 5-june-2004 version builds using the same cvs,
./configure, export AXIOM=, make procedure that fails here.

Best regards,

Magnus Larsson