[Axiom-developer] Axiom Wiki as single user interface

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Wiki as single user interface
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:22:23 -0400

On Saturday, July 10, 2004 11:56 PM I wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> > If the Axiom wiki effort can support pamphlet <=> webpage
> > translations it would have two benefits. First it would
> > provide an interesting front-end to Axiom, especially with
> > Bill's automation of running Axiom on a wiki web page. This
> > turns out to be nearly as powerful as Mathematica and Maple
> > notebooks. In fact, with some clever web page buttons we
> > could probably reproduce their complete functionality.
>
> As a user of both of these commercial systems, I would say
> that in some ways the Axiom Wiki interface is already
> superior - especially when it comes to online web-based
> collaborative computer algebra. And since it allows full
> access to LaTeX, it's ability to display mathematics is also
> superior to both M and M.

I thought that I should also mention that it is quite easy to
install the Zope+ZWiki+LatexWiki+AxiomWiki combination on a
stand alone machine with Axiom. (Plone is optional but some
people might find it useful as a "personal organizer" for
other research materials.) The result is that one can use a
standard web browser to access this locally - no network
required. There is a trend to use the browser interface as
a standard gui instead of writing gui applications in the
traditional way.

The result of this combination is rather similar to but with
greater functionality than the Texmacs interface to Axiom.
And since these same tools are already available on windows
once we have Axiom running on Windows, we will automatically
have a fully compatible gui for Windows.

One of the nice things about using Axiom this way is how
easy it would be to share Axiom worksheets with other users.
Zope has facility for exporting and importing web pages
from one site to another.