[Axiom-developer] (no subject)

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:18:07 -0400

Subject: Quantian
--text follows this line--
Dirk, Bill,

I want to introduce you two.

Dirk Eddelbuettel is responsible for Quantian, a Knoppix-live CD
distribution of mathematical software. He maintains the distribution
at: http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

Quantian is a very sweet idea. Basically a lot of mathematical
software is collected on one linux distribution. I'd like this
distribution to eventually get distributed as the "standard"
computational mathematics platform.

Bill Page is responsible for the wiki pages (originally Axiom, now
expanding to REDUCE and possibly others) which is another sweet idea.
It allows online creation of mathematics. The wiki may eventually get
split out as a standalone front end that can be packaged with Axiom or
other systems.

I think there is the possibility of a couple different events that
could quickly come together with little effort.

First to have a merger that puts Bill's work on Quantian. This would
bring the wiki front end to other systems.

Second to promote Quantian as a platform for doing computational
mathematics. Dirk has already collected a fair number of systems onto
one CD. If we can coordinate efforts we could arrange to have Quantian
CDs distributed at all of the math-related conferences.

Third to coordinate the next ISSAC conference to have at least poster
sessions demonstrating the use of the Page+Quantian effort. This would
involve actively creating some demonstrations using various systems.

Thoughts?